Whether you’re hitting the gym, park, court, bike trails, video games or the office… Having a focused, motivated & alert mind is going to be highly beneficial.
Being highly motivated, happy & energized are daily requirements to succeed and we need all the help we can get - some days coffee alone just isn't enough!
This is where the brain boosting power of Nootropics come in…
Nootropic is the term given to a compound (natural or synthetic) that boosts cognitive function in some capacity. Some nootropics are GABAnergic (calming) and others are adrenergic (energizing). Some boost mood and others enhance learning or memory recall.
In this short blog we will look at the top 5 natural brain boosting nootropics that will provide a dialed-in, focused feeling that is sure to benefit your workouts and your daily life goals.
- Caffeine –That’s right… good old caffeine boosts energy, alertness, focus, motivation, and performance. However, synthetic caffeine anhydrous is typically made from petroleum-based compounds and contains an array of harmful solvents. In addition to these chemicals, synthetic caffeine is often absorbed to rapidly, resulting in “jitters”, a spike of energy, and then a “caffeine crash”. Natural caffeine derived from the decaffeination of tea leaves of coffee beans provides a superior, clean, longer lasting energy.
- EnXtra® - Alpina Galanga is the source of this patented natural compound that amplifies the benefit of caffeine by 30% for up to 5 hours without jitters or a crash. It is thought to act as an adaptogen allowing our body and brain to respond positively to stimulants and stress. EnXtra® boosts dopamine receptors and down regulates adenosine. This means it may enhance motivation, happiness and satisfaction while reducing fatigue and tiredness.
- Theobromine – This energy and mood boosting compound found in Theobroma Cacao (Chocolate) is great at providing a supportive role to caffeine. The smooth, clean mental alertness that it provides is hard to go past. In addition, Theobromine has an unusual quality in the stimulant world… it is a vasodilator (relaxes blood vessels). This may help support blood flow, energy and nutrient transport around the body and brain for greater results.
- Hordenine – Found in Hordeum vulgare is a natural Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor (MAOI). This means it reduces the breakdown and clearance of neurotransmitters. The result is longer lasting benefits from caffeine, theobromine etc. Even in the absence of caffeine this little gem is the top of class for focus, attention, learning, memory, and mental performance.
- Tyrosine – 90% of your neurotransmitters are made from Tyrosine. That’s why this amino acid is so important to make sure you are capable of enhancing focus, cognition, mood and mental energy. Tyrosine also makes up the building blocks of your thyroid hormones and if deficient you may find your metabolism slows down and brain fog creeps in. You may also feel tired and fatigued.
- Bonus – Creatine – Most people associate creating with building muscle, increasing strength, improving speed, and providing a boost in physical output. What most don’t know is that creatine is essential for brain energy as well as skeletal muscle energy. Studies have shown creatine supplementation can ameliorate cognitive decline and enhance memory and learning.
There are many other natural adaptogenic herbs, antioxidants, vitamins & minerals that provide some benefit towards healthy brain function and cognition including Magnesium and Zinc. It’s important to remember a healthy body has a greater chance of fostering a healthy mind.
Reducing sugar laden, highly processed food, alcohol & soda in favour of an antioxidant rich diet with plenty of protein and good fats, will not only serve to balance your energy levels, but boost your gut and brain health simultaneously.
Also consider that multiple studies have shown that artificial colours and preservatives (often found in energy drinks, gaming supplements or some pre-workouts) are associated with neurodegeneration and mental decline. Consistent use may cause dependence, irritability & a lack of focus. This is not encountered when using naturally flavoured and sweetened products free of synthetic dyes.
You'll find these ingredients in many popular fitness supplements available in Australia.
POWER up your day, game or workout by adding brain boosting nootropics into your routine and feel the lift in mental cognition and performance that will help you excel every day.
Pro Tip: Don’t consume coffee or a combination of coffee and other nootropics too close to bed as they can disrupt your sleep. Quality sleep leads to quality brain function and a better result. 😊
Disclaimer: The above article is merely a guide and is in no way a recommendation or a treatment protocol for any health conditions or diseases. You should always consult with a qualified health care provider before changing your supplement, training, or nutritional strategy. Formulated Supplementary Sports Foods must not be used by pregnant or breastfeeding women, anyone consuming prescription medication or children under the age of 15 unless advised by a qualified health care provider.